Quadcopter update

I’ve been a bit slack on my updates, so here’s a couple in a row.
I got some time to fly the quad copter on the Melbourne Cup weekend, while I was at Apollo Bay. There wasn’t much of a window between the weather to fly the quad. I’d been playing with the settings on the controller and I had calibrated the ESCs. The result was a cascading build-up of oscillation. It was messy. At one point I tried to keep it flying hoping it would calm down. It was not a good plan, the quad completely inverted and smashed into the grass. I managed to land it two out of three times, but by then there were a few people coming over to look. I wasn’t comfortable flying around without adequate control of the quad, so back into the box it went.

I’ve been doing some research, and it looks like I’ve set the ‘I’ values to high in the PID loop. I’ll set them lower for the next run, which will be tethered to the ground to reduce the risk of damage. I’m going through too many propellers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s